War Referenda Begin In Graduate Schools

Graduate students of all schools will vote today in two referendums and one poll on the war in Vietnam.

One referendum is open only to the 1500 members of the Graduate Student Association. It will become GSA policy if it receives a majority of the votes cast and at least 501 votes.

The other referendum is open to all graduate students. It is sponsored by an ad hoc organization called the Graduate Student Organizing Committee and is the result of that group's opposition to the exclusiveness of the GSA vote, according to Organizing Committee member Margaret A. Theeman, a second-year graduate student.

Both proposals call for "the immediate withdrawal of United States armed forces from Vietnam."

Poll Too

The poll is also sponsored by GSA but is open to all grad students. It will include questions on: involvement in Vietnam, GSA's participation in political issues, the draft, campus recruitment by the armed forces and munitions-makers, and Defense Department contracts.

Miss Theeman and other opponents of the poll have charged that it presents so many alternatives to each question that the GSA can form no definite conclusions on graduate student opinion.

Students will be able to vote today through Friday, and the two referendums and the poll will be available at the following places: Harkness Commons (11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and 5 to 7 p.m.), 6 Ash St. (11:45 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. and 5:30 to 7 p.m.), Emerson Hall (5:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).

Also at: Pierce Hall (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.), William James (10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), Andover Hall (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.), Larsen Hall (1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m.), and Longfellow Hall (3 to 4:30 p.m.).