Squashmen Eye Ivy Crown Again; Track Team Seeks Big 3 Triumph

By Richard D. Paisner

The winter sports season is more than half over, and as usual the Harvard athletic teams boast a gaudy composite record. But also as usual, very few teams carry the winning burden.

Through Monday night's Beanpot loss, Harvard's seven teams (not including skiing, which functions more as a club than a team) have won 39 events and lost 26 for a .600 percentage overall.

In League competition, the seven teams have been somewhat less successful with a 16-14 record. Only three squads have any shot at a League title--track, squash, and hockey--and the skaters must still face defending NCAA champ Cornell in the Big Red's Ithacan den.

Coach Barnaby

The squash team, which has won six League titles in a row, now is 9-0. Only two matches--against Princeton and Yale--stand between Coach Jack Barnaby and his ninth Ivy crown. Far and away the most successful Harvard winter coach, Barnaby owns the amazing career record of 277 wins and 92 losses.

In a crucial meet this Saturday, Harvard's all-winning indoor track team clashes with Yale and Princeton in the annual Big Three bloodbath.

The runners have provided the biggest thrills of the season. Last Friday, the Lowell House two-mile relay team--Jim Baker, George Burns. Roy Shaw, and Dave McKelvey--upset a highly-touted Villanova team in near world record time. Doug Hardin, the cross-country captain-elect, broke the Harvard two-mile record: and both Shaw and Baker have run superb miles.

Basketball

Individually, basketball star Chris Gallagher ranks third in the Ivy League in rebounds (11.2) and seventh in scoring (16.0). Bob Kanuth is the only other hoopster averaging in double figures according to scoring statistics released this week.

In hockey, Captain Jack Garrity has 30 points. Jack Turco, 29, and Kent Parrot, 26. Parrot needs only two more points to become the sixth Harvard player to reach 100 career points. It would be quite a wedding present for the Belmont skater if he gets them against St. Lawrence Saturday; his wedding is on Friday.