Pusey at SFAC

PRESIDENT Pusey's appearance yesterday before the Student-Faculty Advisory Council ought to silence the snappish ad hominem attacks to which he is sometimes subjected.

Many may still disagree with the President's concept of how the University can foster social change, but he explained it articulately and handled a two-hour fusillade of questions with steady composure. Inevitably the dialogue was only partially successful, but Pusey deserves credit for his willingness to face SFAC's questions.

In his remarks, however, Pusey asserted a view the CRIMSON has quarreled with twice in the past month. Speaking on whether Harvard should allow unlimited television coverage of events here, he said "to use technology to assert a point of view is contrary to the principles of the University." This disposition to avoid marginally associating the University with a controversial view was what we found objectionable in the decision of Pusey and the Corporation not to let the Harvard University Press publish J. D. Watson's The Double Helix. And we earlier objected to the University's refusal to allow WGBH to cover a Vietnam teach-in in January.

The Double Helix affair is past history, but television coverage is still a live issue. Pusey and the Deans should decide to leave the campus as open to educational television as it is to recruiters.