Holiday Parietals Cause Extension Of Combined Charities Campaign

The Harvard-Radcliffe Combined Charities Drive, scheduled to end last Wednesday, was officially extended for one day because pre-holiday parietals impeded Wednesday's collection.

The one-day extension is not unique in the drive's history, said William A. Shutzer '69, chairman of the drive, but this year's drive especially needed the extension. Because of the extended parietals, the atmosphere in the houses was "crazy" and hardly right for collecting, Shutzer said.

The first four days of the drive yielded $19,300, Eugene Warner III '70, treasurer of the drive, said yesterday. With the extra day, he added, he expects to surpass last year's total of $24,000. The Yard has already beaten its record for last year, according to Warner.

The drive will continue to accept contributions through Monday because, Warner, explained, "some people haven't been contacted." The drive solicited from Dudley House by 'mail, so these contributions are coming in slowly, he added.

Final Counts

The final counts are not ready, but of the seven charities aided by the drive, there are four that "look big," according to Warner: the American Friends Service Committee on Vietnam, the American Indian Foundation, Miles College, and Phillips Brooks House.

The drive will sponsor a dance in the Union tomorrow night with the Velvet Underground. Tickets are $2 per person, and the proceeds go to the seven charities.