Shaw Shatters Mile Mark With 4:02.8 Run

By Mark R. Rasmuson

Roy Shaw proved Wednesday that he is without a doubt one of the country's finest collegiate milers. Shaw ran a brilliant 4:02.8 mile in Dartmouth's Leverone Cage--the fastest time ever by a Harvard runner--in the latest episode of the Shaw-Jim Baker assault on the four-minute mark.

It was incidental that Harvard victimized Dartmouth, 89-19, in the afternoon meet.

Shaw's time was nearly three seconds faster than the Harvard indoor record of 4:05.7 he set in the Boston Athletic Association Meet less than a month ago.

It also eclipsed the University mile record of 4:03.4 that Shaw established outdoors last June in the Harvard-Yale versus Oxford-Cambridge meet.

Coach Bill McCurdy said that he expected fast times from his runners Wednesday since Dartmouth's banked board track is the best the Crimson has run on all year.

Shaw's performance was no less impressive, however, because of the excellent conditions. The best previous time on the track was 4:13.5.

The quarter, half, and three-quarter times of Shaw's run were 58.7, 2:01.10, and 3:01.9 respectively.

Baker, Shaw's surest competitor in the four-minute race, was not feeling well and did not run in the mile or the two-mile, probably his best event. He ran a leg in the two-mile relay.

Leg Injuries

Keith Colburn, another candidate for four-minute honors who has been plagued by leg injuries all season, placed second in the two-mile behind Tim McLoone.

Shaw's record-jarring race was characteristic of the quality of Harvard performances in Wednesday's rout. At least six other Crimson thinclads turned in their best performances of the season.

Skip Hare leaped 23' 1 1/4"--his best ever--for first place in the broad jump. Bob Galliers, who went 23' 2" in the Big Three meet last Saturday, had trouble with foot faults and took third.

Steve Schoonover, the best pole vaulter in Ivy League history, tied his season-high vault of 15' 6" to win first. Pete Lazarus went 14' and took second.