Swimmers Sink Big Red, 72-41; Freshmen 'Romp

By Thomas P. Southwick

Harvard's varsity swim team showed that it has lost none of the speed that almost upset Princeton last week as it left a reportedly strong Cornell team far in its wake, 72-41, Saturday in Ithaca.

Cornell, which lost to Harvard last year by a touchout in the last event, was supposed to be back stronger than ever this year. The Big Red lost none of its members to graduation and, swimming in its own pool, was out for Crimson blood and fifth place in the Eastern Sea-board Swimming League. Harvard, which lost two of its best swimmers last year, should have been down after the heart-breaking loss to Princeton.

But from the first event, where Harvard's Bill Murphy and Pete Alter swept the one-meter diving, to the last where John Bragg came from behind to touchout Cornell in the 400-yard freestyle relay, it was Harvard's meet. Along the way the Crimson won 9 of 13 events, sweeping five.

Bill Shrout, Murphy, and Pete Adams each won two events. Shrout, swimming the tough 1,000-yard freestyle for the first time, set a new Harvard record of 10:-35.9. The only bright spot for Cornell came in the 200-yard butterfly where Jim Boizelle set a Cornell record of 2:01.7.

The freshman swimming team scored a 64-31 triumph over Andover Saturday in the IAB, setting three new records and missing another by one tenth of a second. John Munk set a Harvard pool record of 54.6 in the 100-yard butterfly and Harvard's 400-yard freestyle relay set a pool record of 3:18.7. Steve Krause continued his sparkling season with a record-breaking 3:51.6 in the 400-yard freestyle. The 220-yard medley relay team was only one tenth of a second off the old freshman record of 1:43.7.

The varsity winds up the regular season against Yale in New Haven on Saturday and the freshmen swim Deerfield in the IAB on Wednesday.