The Disintegration of Harvard Young Dems

Three presidential aspirants in tonight's election show how Harvard's largest political organization has "fallen apart" and suggest remedies

By Lili A. Gottfried

"PEOPLE seriously interested in activist politics at Harvard quickly see that Young Democrats is simply not for them," Executive Committee member Steven Kelman '70 said recently. "Instead of presenting a consistent democratic ideology, the club is a circus of speakers and politically meaningless administrative meetings which frequently explode into personal quarrels," Kelman said.

The three presidential candidates in tonight's elections agree with Kelman--Young Dems, the largest political organization on campus, "seems to have fallen apart," as one candidate put it. The problem is not getting members--although membership did decline over a third this year. Instead the problem is what to do with the masses who sign up each year. Most of them are attracted by the list of big-name speakers traditionally offered. And it is just this tradition that has led to the eventual decline of the club, one critic postulated.

"In the past, with an impressive speaker program, the club seemed successful. But this year, with only three poorly atended lectures, it became apparent that the program masked a real lack of political activity. A speaker program would seem justified only if it presents a consistent viewpoint and some workable ideas to effect it, not just a hodge-podge of names brought here simply to make money for the club," he explained.

No Ideology

The fundamental problem seems to be the Young Dems' failure to offer a coherent political ideology to its membership. Elliott Abrams '69, a candidate for president, has said, "An overwhelming majority of the members I've talked to haven't done any serious thinking about what it means to be a Democrat. They join because they think they're liberals, or because their parents are. It's Young Dems' job to help them articulate and act on a Liberal Democratic Ideology."

But the difficulties lie deeper than just interesting these "ultra-super nominalists" in meaningful political activity. One disillusioned Executive Committee member blamed the club's impotence on those who view the organization as a stepping stone for future political careers. "They range from pseudo-new-Leftists in grey flannel suits to those who would be in SDS, but are too timid to affiliate with it for fear of hurting their budding political careers," he said. "Reluctant to voice any effective platform, they present a generalized liberal view centered entirely around elections, with no conception of extra-political social means of bringing about change. It never occurred to any of these ultra-pragmatic liberals to get involved with labor unions, for example."

Work with Unions

Abrams too is convinced of the value in cooperating with labor. "Demonstrations, and working for McCarthy, are important, but they aren't enough. I'd like to see Young Dems work with unions and help them. Then when an issue like Vietnam comes up, you've got voters who will listen to you," he said.

Harry Katz '70, another presidential candidate in tonight's elections, seeks a role for Young Dems as a lobbying body and research group--effected through a restructuring of the Club's administrative organization.

The 15-man Executive Committee, the Club's ruling body, leaves its members completely free to formulate activities, but "there is scant initiative, to put it mildly," he said. "What is needed is a breakdown of the Executive Committee into smaller groups responsible for activities, consistent policy statements, and cooperation with the state and national party. We have to reach the membership, perhaps through frequent referenda and a newsletter presenting experts' views on national issues as well as rehashes of campus meetings and speakers," he said. "Such a program might overcome much of the wishy-washy thinking now dominant among members."

Newsletter Needed

Abrams sees the newsletter as essential in promoting serious political analysis and discussion. "The only Leftist viewpoint really apparent at Harvard is that of SDS, and it is clearly a minority. Young Dems never discusses most issues at all right now. An informative magazine-type newsletter ought to be the first step in expressing a coherent political viewpoint," he explained.

A third presidential candidate, Richard Kelley '71, said that the Young Dems risk losing a great deal of their influence outside of the University community if the club continues to consist almost entirely of a speaker list. "People across the country respect the name of Harvard and of the Harvard Young Dems, but the fact that the club is a farce can't stay submerged much longer," he said. Kelley, a member of the Yard Council, the freshman contingent of the club, continued, "Young Dems didn't do a thing this year. It's especially important, with elections coming up, for members to do more than just go on the record for a candidate. Most people don't realize that less than 30 people were at the meeting where we endorsed McCarthy."

Party Pinch

"The election is going to cause a pinch from the party for funds," Kelley said. "There will have to be a good deal of active leadership to provide them, or the club could completely disintegrate. I'd like to see big names come here to debate or discuss the issues with Faculty members and students, rather than just lecture to them as a means of raising money. A genuine effort must be made to justify the respect and influence we still have around the country," he said.

Within the University, however, it's a question of building respect and influence, not maintaining it. The large drop in membership, coupled with the fact that a third of the Executive Committee resigned this year, is indicative of the trend for activists to seeks SDS or the Young People's Socialist League even though they may not fully support their policies. There is little alternative for political action at Harvard. And those who join Young Dems with the vague hope that it will arouse them from their political apathy soon retreat to the comfort of their books.

Aware of these trends, Abrams would like to implement "the old coalition idea of bringing together all Leftist factions at Harvard to establish a mass base needed for any social change. SDS, YPSL, Campus Americans for Democratic Action, and those active in the McCarthy campaign are all doing some things inherent in the Young Dems' policy, and the duplication among them is wasteful. We ought to be willing to work together," he said.

Leftist Sentiment

Effectively, the political atmosphere at Harvard is dominated by those activist groups whose relatively small memberships do not reflect the majority Leftist sentiment here.

"It's too bad, but YPSL is the farthest right of the organized political groups on campus. Young Dems and Young Republicans simply can't interest political activists, so there is a vacuum where a moderate liberal voice is needed," Kelman said. Kelman, who will not run for re-election to the Young Dems Executive Committee tonight, is now active in YPSL, which, he says, is attracting more and more people who are not socialists.

McCarthy Missed

The presidential campaign of Senator Eugene McCarthy would seem to be the logical rallying point for Young Dems to begin a reconsolidation of their far-flung membership. Most of the Executive Committee drop-outs left to work for McCarthy through other organizations. Their leaving is indicative of the failure of Young Dems to provide a framework for any kind of politically meaningful activity.

The interest and the energy to work for McCarthy is rampant at Harvard, but Young Dems members have been forced to seek channels outside the organization. If the club's leaders--whoever they may be--could construct a cohesive campaign program, it might reattract those in self-exile from the Democratic Party at Harvard.