Cliffie Tankers Come in Fifth

The Radcliffe swimming team kicked its way to a fifth-place finish in the New England Intercollegiate Swimming Meet last Saturday.

A squad of female jocks from Springfield College dominated every event and easily captured the team championship. Mt. Holyoke, which hosted the meet, took second place honors in the eleven-team field.

Although Radcliffe failed to win a single event, several Cliffies produced outstanding performances.

Eleanor Thomas '69 broke a Mt. Holyoke pool record in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 1:07.3, but only managed to place third. She also finished second in the 50-yard backstroke.

Julie Anderson '71 and Janet Wright '70 also scored in two events. Miss Anderson placed second in the 100-yard breaststroke and fourth in the 50-yard breaststroke, while Miss Wright tied for second in the 50-yard freestyle and finished fifth in the 50-yard breaststroke.

In the 200-yard freestyle relay, the Radcliffe team of Miss Thomas Miss Wright, Kathy Fletcher '71, and Andrea Hedin '71 sped to a record-breaking 2:00.0 time, but had to settle for second place.

Next Tuesday, the Radcliffe team will journey to Wellesley to battle their rivals in a dual meet. Some Radcliffe swimmers will also enter the National Intercollegiate Swimming Championships in Philadelphia this March, team captain Cathy McBain '69 said last night.