$4000 in Debt, Club 47 Closing Doors April 27

Club 47-the Palmer St, haven for folk music afficianados-will close April 27 because of financial difficulties.

Manager Byron Lord Linardos said that the club had been unable to erase an $11,000 debt despite a series of charity performance in the last month. The club still owes $4,000, he said.

The rising cost of performances and large losses from several unsuccessful concerts caused the debt. Because of the small size of the club, it was difficult to pay performers even with a full house, Linardos said.

The club had to ask performers to appear for substantially less than their usual fees, he said. A number of big name performers including the Chambers Brothers and Richie Haves did so willingly. "But we can't ask them to do this more than once." Linardos said.

Club members and other interested persons will make one last attempt to save the club at a meeting March 24. One possible change would be a move to a new location. Rental rates in Harvard Square are to high to allow the club to operate profitably.

Linardos recognizes that the club is unlikely to make a successful change. The public meeting will probably administer the finishing touches.

Club 47 is the home of many great fold stars. Joan Baez, the Chamber Brothers Richie Havens, and the Charles River Valley Boys got their start here.

"This is a performers' home created by the performers for the performers. If we can't stay that way then we will quit," Linardos said.

To go out on a good note, Linardos is planning what he labels "Nostalgia Weak." The club will hold a week-long hoot with as many of the people who opened the club as can be found to take part. "We want to close it with the same people who opened it."