Hockey Team Picks Bauer As Captain

Bobby Bauer, son of hockey great Bob Bauer Sr., will be next year's hockey captain. The announcement came at last night's Annual Hockey Banquet sponsored by an alumni group.

Bauer was fifth in scoring on the team this year with 12 goals and 16 assists. Still, he is disappointed with his point production. "I did well enough in the other aspects of position, but some games I just couldn't score, no matter how well I'd been set up," he said yesterday.

He said that next year's Crimson skaters could finish second in the ECAC if they got up for the big games. "Cornell seems beyond reach," he said, "as they're only losing one senior."

Bauer hails from Kitchener, Ontario, and came to Harvard because of coach Cooney Weiland. Weiland coached Bob's father from 1938 to 1941, when Bauer Sr. was a star for the Boston Bruins.

After next year, he intends to enroll in the Graduate School of Law at the University of Toronto. "I've never seriously considered pro hockey, and I'm not really good enough," he said, "but I would like to say that I turned them down."

At 5'9" and 165 lbs., Bauer is not as big as some of the other centers in the East, and he compensates with finesse. "I've only been decked hard once this year," he said, "partly because American hockey is not geared for hitting, and partly because Chris Curry is such a great hitter that he discourages our opponents from taking cheap shots."

As a sophomore, he scored 21 points to tie for third on the team. In addition, he spent only two minutes in the penalty box that season, and none at all this year.

He alternated with Ken Parrot this year on the first line with Jack Garrity and Bob Fredo. The trio accounted for over a quarter of Harvard's 139 goals during the season. Fredo, Garrity, and Parrot all graduate this Spring so Bauer must take up some of the slack next year if the Crimson is to challenge Cornell's dominance.