Asia Conference Asks Admittance Of China to U.N.

Lashing out at American attitudes toward Red China, 17 speakers and panel members at the Fifth Annual Harvard China Conference called for the admission of China to the U.N. and an end to the U.S. policy of containment of China.

Edwin O. Reischauer, University Professor and former American Ambassador to Japan, voiced the majority opinion when he said. "We pay a price for our present China policy. People think we're silly all around the world."

Most speakers at the three-day conference belittled the danger of Chinese expansion into Southeast Asia and none attempted to defend the U.S. position in Vietnam.

At the final panel discussion yesterday, Reischauer said that admission to the U.N. "would be a good, educational experience" for the Chinese. He said the isolation of Red China is at least partly responsible for her dreams of world revolution.

The speakers agreed that Chinese intervention in South Vietnam is unlikely. Frank Armbruster, director of Guerrilla Warfare Studies at the Hudson Institute, said Saturday that the Vietnamese terrain is unsuited to the Chinese human-wave attacks. He pointed to the shortage of armor in the Chinese army and Chinese unfamiliarity with Vietnamese terrain.