McCARTHY'S HONESTY

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Your vote favoring Kennedy over McCarthy came as a great shock to me. My background first. I am a white haired fifty year old establishment lady who has fought tooth and nail for what the young people were telling us. I even gave up buying saran wrap in the Walter Mitty hope of converting production of napalm at Dow Chemical to better things. I rode in a jeep to Freedom Square in October and spent two nights on a bus with little to eat and almost two days standing around and walking with little to eat and not much chance of going to the toilet, which is perhaps crude but rather important at the time. This is no meant jaunt for an old lady, but I could see the bad press coming, and I felt it would be some help, however miniscule, for me to be there; I even wore a hat and gloves for the cause.

Over the past two weekends I have had about 170 different boys bedded down at my house.... They went to people in every alley and they are responsible for getting this vote, which no matter how the newspeople discuss its meaning ad nauseum, was a vote not so much against any combination of things; but a vote FOR Senator McCarthy. This is the man we are looking for--honest and believable. He came here a laughable figure, magnanimously conceded 5 per cent of the vote and he won because he represents what the young have been parading and sitting down and preaching to us about--plain honesty. Now ask yourself what you really think Kennedy would have done if the vote were only 5 per cent. The answer to that is clear when you recall that he would back nominee even if it were Johnson. I wouldn't and neither I hope would you. Kennedy is unbelievable, and his attempt to take the credit for a bigger win which is already in store for McCarthy in states not so hard to tackle as N.H., by telling his supporters to help McCarthy in states where he is not entered, is at the least sleezy, and not to be reconciled by any kind of hedging to what the young people have been preaching. Mrs. Doris Stanley   Nashua, N.H.