Radcliffe Committee Recommends Broader Employment Opportunities

Cliffies may soon have jobs in their kitchens and dining halls.

The Joint Committee of the Radcliffe Union of Students and the Radcliffe Administration recommended at its meeting Monday night broader opportunities for "short-term casual employment" at Radcliffe for Cliffies.

In the past, jobs in the kitchens and other areas have not been open to Cliffies because the Administration felt it would make scholarship students "conspicuous." But student members of the Committee argued that this is no longer a source of concern among students looking for jobs.

Monday's meeting was the first time members of the Administration met with all the newly-elected student representatives.

The Joint Commitee defined its role as an advisory group to the College Council, Radcliffe's policy-making body. It will make recommendations to the Council and will organize ad hoc committees to consider special problems.

The Committee also discussed a proposed revision of the board plan that would reduce the number of meals in the dormitories to two per day.

Lisa M. Erdberg '69, North House representative, said that a reduction in free meals would mean less waste in board costs. The cost of board is scheduled to go up $50 per student next year.

Mary I. Bunting, president of Radcliffe, reported that the budget deficit is down from $200,000 to $90,000.

She also reported a complaint from the Cambridge. Traffic Commissioner about students riding bicycles the wrong way on one-way streets.