Johnson Off Mass. Ballot; McCarthy On

By Robert M. Krim

Eugene J. McCarthy will be the only name printed on the April 30 Massachusetts presidential preference primary ballot.

President Johnson through an aide yesterday asked Massachusetts Democratic State Committee Chairman Lester B. Hyman not to enter his name as a candidate for president and to refrain from entering a stand-in. Hyman complied with the request.

The move came as a surprise to most Massachusetts politicians, who immediately began organizing a write-in campaign. Hyman had spent three months trying to persuade Johnson to allow his name to be entered on the ballot. Under a new state law the chairman of each political party is required to enter the name of the man he considers the candidate for president.

Campaigning in Bedford, New Hampshire, McCarthy issued a statement which said, "I'm sorry that President Johnson decided not to have a direct confrontation with me.

"I think such a debate before the voters of Massachusetts," the McCarthy statement continued, "would have been beneficial for all Americans."

John Kenneth Galbraith, Paul M. War- burg Professor of Economics, said last night, "this is a major victory for the Senator [McCarthy], and no one should think differently. Johnson could not win. As a result Senator McCarthy has his first state delegation."

Bay State Johnson backers have only seven weeks to organize a write-in campaign. The New Hampshire write-in campaign for Johnson took seven months to put into operation according to Bernard I. Boutin; Granite State campaign director.

One McCarthy worker Allan Taylor '70, said last night after hearing the news of McCarthy's position in Massachusetts, "I don't know what I'm going to do all spring now.