Gov Group Supports Kolden's Draft Protest

Twelve teaching fellows and graduate students in the Government Department have organized a movement to protest the impending induction of Rolf Kolden, teaching fellow in Government and General education.

Kolden turned in his draft card at the October 16 Arlington Street Church service. On December 1, his draft board reclassified him 1-A, declared him delinquent, and ordered him to report for induction. Kolden plans to refuse his induction at the Boston Army Base on March 12.

The 12 teaching fellows began circulating a petition yesterday in support of Kolden's refusal. They drafted it at a meeting in Littauer last week.

Steve Thomas '64, one of the organizers of the protest, said that the group originally intended the petition for circula- tion only among teaching fellows and graduate students in the Government Department. The Harvard Draft Project suggested that the group broaden the woraing of the petition so that it would include others in the Department. The HDP is helping to circulate the petition.

The statement reads, in part: "As members of the Harvard community, we support [Rolf Kolden's] opposition and amrm our own to this unjust war. There should be no draft for such a war. The United States should get out of Vietnam.

Thomas said that the petition is a "vehicle for getting things going." Ultimately, the petition and its signatures will be sent to the CRIMSON for publication, Thomas said. It will also be circulated among the senior faculty in the Government Department "for their support and information."

Livingston Merchant '63, tutor in Government and one of those present at the Littauer meeting, said that his colleagues had shown some support of the petition yesterday. He noted, however, that "some people just aren't going to sign."

In a letter to his draft board in November, Kolden cited the "tradition of civil disobedience" in the United States. He wrote, "I plan to work for peace openly and non-violently as a teacher, student, organizer and voter