Tournaments to Offer Stiff Tests For Crimson Fencers, Grapplers

Fencing coach Edo Marion is looking beyond the Eastern Championships March 15-16 at Princeton to the NCAA tournament at Detroit on March 28-30.

The Varsity's ECAC hopes rest on All-Ivy saber Ron Winfield, but Winfield is only one of seven top competitors in the saber event.

Bob Barnard will back up Winfield in the saber and Captain Harry Jergesen will be the only Crimson fencer with a chance in the epee event. The foil is completely out of reach.

The team will be fencing without its crop of star freshmen because of an ECAC ban against freshman competitors. The NCAA has lifted this ban for the first time this year, so coach Marion will be taking two freshmen standouts along with Winfield to Detroit.

The two freshmen, Tom Keller in the foil and Geza Tetrallyay in the epee, must be considered underdogs against the Varsity swordsmen.

Marion said that he would prefer to take Varsity fencers because a large degree of experience and stamina is required to get through the grueling 40-bout weekend. He is forced to rely on the freshmen, though, because of the dearth of Varsity talent in the foil and epee.

With a sixth place finish or better at Detroit, Winfield could get get All-American honors, but the Harvard team as a whole has little chance against such traditional powerhouses as NYU, Columbia, and Penn.

ECAC Wrestling

Coach Bob Picket's Varsity wrestling team goes to Pittsburgh today to compete in the 16-team Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Tournament this weekend.

The team championship appears to be beyond Harvard's grasp, but a few Crimson grapplers could place well.

Senior Paul Padlak, who will be fighting his last fight, has the best chance for top honors in his division. Last year he took a third in the same 167 weight class that he wrestles in this year. Paul Cantinella, 137 pounds, Howie Chatterton, 177 Jim Abbot, 191, and Bob Panoff, heavyweight, could also show.