Harvard Thinclads Seek Triumph in IC4A Track

By Mark R. Rasmuson

Harvard's track team is rated a top threat to unseat perennial winner Villanova in today's 47th annual IC4A (Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America) Championships in the new Madison Square Garden.

Villanova has won the IC4A's eight times in the last 11 years. The last time Harvard brought home the title was in 1927. Last year the Crimson placed 10th in the meet--the largest and oldest in the country--which this year has attracted entries from 65 colleges.

Villanova's talent-studded squad is led by Dave Patrick, two-year winner of the IC4A mile and holder of the meet record of 4:06.7. Patrick also anchors Villanova's two-mile relay team which set the world indoor record of 7:23.8 earlier this season.

Villanova's Titleholders

Villanova has two other IC4A title-holders in Charles Messenger in the two-mile and Erv Hall in the 60-yard high hurdles. And Villanova pole vaulter Vince Bizzarro, whose 16'7 3/4" vault beat Bob Seagren in Januuary, will probably be unchallenged in that event.

Harvard's scoring strength will lie where it has all year--in the distance races.

The Crimson could score heavily in the mile if both Jim Baker and Roy Shaw are entered. Shaw, who has run 4:02.8, must be considered the meet's biggest threat to Patrick--the field's only sub-four minute miler--whose best time this year is 4:01. But if Baker joins Shaw, whom he beat in last week's Heptagonals, there's no telling how the race will turn out.

Baker and Doug Hardin are easily among the finest two-milers in today's meet, with respective times of 8:48.4 and 8:44.2. If Baker runs the mile, Hardin will have to battle it out with Villanova's titlist Messenger, Colby's Sebsibe Mamo, and Wesleyan's Ambrose Burfoot.

Two-Mile Relay

If Harvard goes with its strongest unit in the two-mile relay--composed of Baker, Shaw, Trey Burns, and Dave McKelvey--this could be the race of the day. Villanova's team holds the world's record, but it was recorded on a fast eight-lap track. Harvard's quartet ran the country's fastest 11-lap indor two-mile of the season--the third fastest in history--with a 7:28.2 clocking in the USTFF Invitational Meet.