Winfield Strikes for Title In NCAA Sabre Tourney

Like everyone else on the varsity fencing team, all-Ivy sabreman Ron Winfield had never tried the sport before he came to Harvard.

As a freshman Winfield, a former track and cross-country star at Haverhill High School, decided to get his PT's by fencing because he thought it would be like "the wild duels in an Edgar Rice Burroughs novel."

Although fencing turned out to be less wide-open and slashing than he expected, Winfield still found the sport exciting. "I'm sure its the fastest collegiate sport," he said.

A pre-med student, Winfield fenced for the freshman team, but dropped off the varsity midway through last season to do battle with Chem 20. Returning to sabre competition this year, he fashioned an 11-4 Ivy record and earned himself a slot on the all-Ivy team, despite the Crimson's cellar finish.

Out For Blood

Only two other Ivy League sabremen compiled better records than Winfield. One was Mike Marion of Cornell, son of Harvard coach Edo Marion. "We'll all be out for each other's blood at the Easterns this weekend," Winfield said.

Winfield relies heavily on defense, where he takes advantage of the parry-repulse, his specialty. "I'd rather provoke an attack and then look for an opening," he said. "If I were a boxer, I'd probably be a counter-puncher."

While discouraged with the inexperienced team's 0-4 Ivy slate and 7-8 overall record, both Winfield and Marion look ahead optimistically to next season. With another year of experience, the addition of two excellent freshmen, and few losses by graduation, Winfield feels, "We have a good chance of being national champs next year. We're finally starting to get some team spirit, confidence, and guts."

Three In NCAA

At the end of March, Winfield will compete in the sabre for Harvard at the NCAA tournament in Detroit. Captain Harry Jergesen in the epee and freshman Tom Keller in the foil will also represent the Crimson.

Winfield pointed out that Marion has never sent a team to the NCAA's that he did not think would do well. In fact, no Harvard team has ever finished lower than eighth in any NCAA tournament it has entered.