'Heat of Night' Maims 'B & C' in Oscar Duel

By James Lardner

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences threw in its sordid lot with the apostles of non-violence last night, naming In the Heat of the Night best picture, its star Rod Steiger best actor, and Sterling Silliphant's script best original screenplay. The chief victim of the backlash was Bonnie and Clyde, which for the sensitive members of the Academy conjured up visions of Stokely Carmichael and H. Rap Brown.

Somewhere in a procession of singularly mindless Oscars, the Academy saw fit to honor a great lady of stage and screen, Katharine Hepburn. Miss Hepburn, who had won her last award more than 30 years ago, was named best actress for her appearance in another tale of love between the races, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

The Irving Oscar

The Irving Thalberg Award passed gracefully into the hands of Alfred Hitchcock, who marched forward to the tune of his TV theme, peered over the podium, and muttered a very British "Thank you."

A German-born former nightclub comic with puffy cheeks acknowledged himself to be best director, to a mixture of catcalls and sobs from the home audience.

In a similar development, Leslie Bricusse's abominable "Talk to the Animals" stole best song away form Burt Bachrach's "The Look of Love."

The Academy in its infinitive wisdom issued no awards to Arthur Penn or Spencer Tracy.