Wither Jubilee?

HARVARD'S most venerable institution of all--the Freshman Jubilee Weekend--is dying from lack of participation. Despite clever advertising campaigns ("Grow Your Face") and big-name entertainers (The Lovin' Spoonful), ticket sales have been abysmally low and the famous boat cruise has been cancelled.

Most of us were weaned on Jubilee Weekend. For many, it was our first great experience as freshmen, certainly the climax of our first year at Harvard. The romantic boat ride we shall especially remember. Huddled together against the cold off Cape Cod, we imbibed refreshing spirits; there was good cheer in the air. When it was over, spent and exhausted, we would see our dates back to their hotel rooms and fall fast asleep full of the night.

To think that the Class of 1971 will not one day be able to dip into this well of memory is appalling. It was sad indeed to hear the chairman of the Jubilee Committee list the reasons for lack of participation: no so-called "soul music and the bad reputation of Jubilee--the belief that it would be a "wild orgy." Perhaps our lady does have a bad name; then it is up to you to get it straight again.

In 1903, when another grand institution (the freshman constitution) was threatened, the CRIMSON editorialized: "the best course would be . . . for the class of 1906 to trust to those traditions which have guided safely their predecessors for the last two hundred and sixty-seven years."

Well, it is three hundred and thirty-two years now, and class spirit to uphold these traditions is more important than ever. Jubilee Weekend is only what you make it--you, Harvard's freshmen.