Hurler Turns Slugger As Varsity Nine Romps, 11-1

Bob Lincoln doesn't seem to know that pitchers aren't supposed to be good hitters. His ignorance was a blessing for Harvard's baseball squad last Saturday as Lincoln spun a masterful two-hitter over Springfield, driving in four runs enroute to a 11-1 romp.

Lincoln individually equalled Springfield's hit output as he clouted a three-run home run in the second inning and singled another man home in the eighth.

His pitching was as impressive as his batting. The 6' 2" senior whiffed seven Springfield hitters and allowed only one man to reach third.

Harvard's batters finally unleashed a barrage of hits after a lackluster performance in last week's loss to Boston University 5-1.

Captain Carter Lord, Jeff Grate, John Ignacio, and Jack Turco each slammed a pair of hits, accounting for five runs among them.

Lord began the barrage by unleashing his third round-tripper of the year in the first inning, already surpassing his home run total of last season.

After Lincoln's blast in the second, Ignacio followed with another homer two innings later. Lord padded Harvard's lead by scoring twice more on errors by the Springfield second baseman in the fourth and the sixth.

Grate's singles lifted his batting average to .400 with 15 hits in 38 at bats, tops on the team. Ignacio carries a hefty .382 average, followed by Bill Cobb at .320 and Lord at .310.

Sixth Victory

The victory was the sixth for the squad this season against three defeats. Today the Crimson meets Boston College on B.C.'s field at 3 p.m. Harvard must win to stay in contention for the Greater Boston League crown. They are 0-1 after the loss to B.U. last week. B.C. should be a tough foe, having blasting B.U. 9-2 earlier in the season.