Officials Change Work-Study Program To Help Solve This Year's Problems

Summer Funds To Be Tighter

Fewer students will be able to obtain work-study jobs this summer as a result of policy changes designed to prevent the over-spending that occurred at Radcliffe last summer, Lawrence E. Maguire, director of student employment said yesterday.

Last year Radcliffe spent over 60 per cent of its budget in the summer and could only provide 80 women with work-study jobs during the term.

Under the new policy Harvard and Radcliffe will only be able to spend about one-third of their total grants in the summer.

About 60 women and 155 men will be able to take work-study jobs this summer. Last summer 100 women and over 200 men had jobs.

Neediest

Students whose parents contribute nothing to their college expenses will be able to apply to the financial aid office for summer funding, and the office will grant funding to the neediest, Martha C. Lyman, acting director of financial aid, said yesterday.

Maguire said his office will be especially careful to ensure that students with summer funding only take jobs which are "educationally-related."

Administrators have also changed the process of determining eligibility for work-study jobs, Maguire said. They will no longer use the amount of money a student's parents contribute to his college cost as the sole factor.

Other Factors

Instead the financial aid office will examine a student's complete aid application and consider other factors as well.

The new process should yield "90 per cent of the same people" for the program, Maguire said adding that the parental contribution level is not "detailed and customized enough," to choose accurately those who need work-study jobs the most.