Baker Leads Track Team In Romp Over Princeton

Smooth-striding Jim Baker ran a record-setting 4:02.2 mile and a 1:50.2 half mile to lead the Crimson track team past Princeton 104 to 50 Saturday at Soldier's Field. Baker whipped Princeton's two top runners--NCAA scorer Alan Andreini in the mile and Heptagonal champ Jack Endrikat in the half mile.

All in all Harvard broke six meet records and won twelve of the eighteen events.

In the mile Baker followed sophomore Royce Shaw for the first three laps. As Shaw tired, Baker unleashed a 58 second final quarter to pass Shaw on the final turn.

Baker's 4:02.2 broke Shaw's University record of 4:02.8. Shaw finished in 4:04.2 and third-placer Doug Hardin in 4:07.3. Andreini's 4:09 got him nothing but fourth place and sympathy.

Thirty minutes later Baker returned to duel Endrikat in the half mile. Baker edged into the lead in the last thirty yards to gain his second victory and set a Harvard varsity record of 1:50.2.

Hardin came back from the mile to run a brilliant 8:58.1 two-mile, edging teammate Tim McLoone.

Harvard filled the air with record throws. In the javelin sophomore Frank Champi set a new university record with a toss of 224'1", thirteen feet beyond his previous best. Shot-putter Dick Benka set a meet record with a toss of 56 feet and Ron Wilson broke the stadium record with a 167 foot discus throw. Charley Ajootian set a personal record with a 187 foot hammer toss.

Hurdler Frank Haggerty matched his roommate Baker in the win column by taking both of his races. Pole-vaulter Steve Schoonover missed 16 feet, winning his event at 15'5". Captain Jeff Huvelle won the 440 and anchored the mile relay, which ended the day by setting another meet record.