Stickmen Travel to Brown For Important Ivy Contest

Harvard's chances for an Ivy lacrosse title will be weighed by Bruin scales of justice in Providence today at 3 p.m.

If the stickmen can defeat Brown, Princeton will be the only major difficulty between Harvard and the championship. But if the Bruins win, the Crimson's hopes for the Ivy crown will be lost.

A victory over Brown is crucial after Harvard's heartbreaking loss to Cornell, 8-7, last Saturday. The referees, four scouts, and even Cornell's coach all agreed that Harvard was the better team, but that Cornell was luckier.

Brown and Cornell are both rated serious title contenders, and according to coach Bruce Munro, Brown is as tough as Cornell. In a game that can be won on breaks, Brown will have the advantage of playing before a home crowd that supports lacrosse more enthusiastically than do Harvard fans.

Brown's 5-2 record compares favorably to Harvard's 6-3 standing. The only team they both played was Adelphi. The Bruins won that one 7-3, while Harvard triumphed 10-4.

With 13 regulars among the 16 returning lettermen, the Bruins will field an experienced squad. Earlier this season, Brown fared well against two national lacrosse powers. Maryland defeated the Bruins 12-4, and Virginia squeaked by in overtime, 11-7.

Four Bruins--two attackmen and two midfielders--have been especially impressive this spring. Harvard nevertheless will rely on its man-to-man strategy that has been effective thus far this season.