Students Will Vote Today In 'Time' Campaign Poll

Harvard students will vote today in a mock bipartisan presidential election sponsored by Time magazine.

The vote, called "Choice '68," will be held on 200 college campuses across the country. The Harvard Undergraduate Council is coordinating the election here at dining halls during lunch and dinner.

Thirteen candidates are listed on the slate, which Time compiled several weeks ago.

The most significant battle in today's election will be between Senator Eugene J. McCarthy and Senator Robert F. Kennedy '48, the only two declared candidates for the Democratic nomination.

Vice President Hubert Humphry, who is expected to announce his candidacy sometime this week, is not on the ballot. But President Johnson, who renounced his candidacy March 31, and the late Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. are.

Other candidates include Oregon Governor Mark O. Hatfield former Vice President Richard M. Nixon, New York Mayor John V. Lindsay, Sen, Charles Percy (R-III.), California Governor Ronald Reagan, New York Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller, perennial candidate Har-old Stassen, and former Governor of Alabama George C. Wallace.

There is space for write-ins.

Policy Questions

Three policy questions will also appear on the ballot. Two concern Vietnam and one the "urban crisis."

Supporters of Socialist Workers Party candidate Fred Halstead are organizing a write-in on the urban question, asking for black control of ghetto areas. Halstead is on the ballot.

Student groups at Harvard have been actively compaigning for the mock election and plan to distribute pamphlets outside the polls today.

In March, the Student Mobilization Committee announced a campaign to register anti-war sentiment in the Time poll. A spokesman for the anti-war group said that Time is "trying to prove that the anti-war movement does not speak for students."

Time, however, claims that the mock election is for information only. A spokesman for UNIVAC, a division of the Sperry-Rand Corporation that will tabulate the results by early May, called Choice '68 "the first complete tabulation and analysis in history of the voting preferences of a nation-wide segment of the U.S. population."