Daily Double Sets Record

A $150 winner in the second race combined with an 18-1 longshot in the first race to produce the record daily double payoff of the young Suffolk Downs spring meeting yesterday. The combination of Stanley N and Po' L'il Cappie paid $1,175.80 for $2.

The upset in the first race, a claiming event for maiden 3-year-olds, occurred when Stanley N pulled away from the two tiring co-favorites in the stretch. Little E.P.H. and Brian Kelly, both 2-1 on the board, were running one-two at the top of the stretch but could not hold off Stanley N, who ran the six furlongs in 1:13, and paid $39.

Po' L'il Chappie, the rank outsider in the second race betting, came on from fourth place in the stretch to overtake Third Party, the 8-1 third choice. Fox Star, the 2-1 favorite, made a strong move in the stretch but could finish no better than third. Empey Rullah lost his rider at the quarter pole. Po' L'il Chappie, a six-year-old gelding, ran the six furlongs in 1:12 4/5. He paid $149.40 straight, $51.60 for place, and $21.80 for the show.