Columbia Demonstration Enters 4th Day

By James K. Glassman, (Special to the CRIMSON)

NEW YORK, April 26--An estimated 300 Columbia University students, entrenched for the fourth day in five classroom and administration buildings, won support today from the neighboring Harlem community and from black militants H. Rap Brown and Stokely Carmichael.

Brown, his face drawn and nearly milky pale, and Carmichael, in a blue pin-striped suit, led a crowd of 200 junior high and high school youths on a charge from Amsterdam Avenue, through police lines, and onto the besieged campus.

Police immediately sent for reinforcements and sealed off the campus, allowing only Barnard and Columbia students to enter through the outside gates. Other police guarded entrances 10 classroom buildings. Over 100 policemen were stationed around the area, and in nearby Harlem extra patrols roamed the streets.

On to Hamilton Hall

The group marched to Hamilton Hall, which has been held by 50 black students and an unknown number of community militants for the past three days. Brown later delivered a speech on the steps of the building as admirers cheered him on.

He said that he backed the demands of the demonstrators and threatened violence from the community if the demands are not met.

"We are going to let Columbia know that if they don't deal with the black brothers here, they're going to have to deal with the black people of Harlem," Brown said.

Mark Rudd, chairman of Columbia's chapter of Students for a Democratic Society, said at a press conference at 7:30 p.m. tonight that he would not settle for anything less than a complete amnesty for all participants in the demonstration. He also rejected a proposal for a tripartite commission of students, faculty, and administration to help resolve the conflict.

The demand for amnesty has now become the focus of the demonstration. One of the other three demands--stopping construction on a gymnasium in Morningside Park--has been met at least in part. The other two--ending ties with the Institute for Defense Analyses and dropping punishments for an earlier demonstration--are less important and are close to resolution now.

Vow to Stay

The 300 students inside the five buildings--Hamilton, Low Library, Avery Hall, Fayerweather Hall, and the mathematics building--again vowed to stay inside until their demands are met.

Although no official statement has yet been made on the progress of negotiations between the students and the administration, several reliable sources here indicate that Columbia offered to let all the demonstrators off with mere warnings. The students, however, insist on no punishment at all.

The Columbia Spectator, the university's daily newspaper, reported yesterday that sources indicated that the work stoppage on the gymnasium, announced yesterday as "temporary," will be permanent.

Today was the first day that members of the community bordering on Columbia actively participated in the demonstration.

In all, 400 teenage Negro youths assembled on the grassy quadrangle in the center of the Columbia campus. They chanted anti-war slogans, listened to the radio, and cheered on speakers.

The $10-million Columbia gymnasium was planned for an area that many of these youths use as a playground.

Brown emphasized that this fight was the community's too. He and Carmichael left after about an hour. They were scheduled to speak in Newark tonight.

Two Factions

The campus is severely split into two factions--those who are sympathetic with the demands of the demonstrators and those who want them expelled.

The sympathetic faculty group, called the Ad Hoc Committee, vociferously booed Vice President David B. Truman last night when he announced that Columbia was ordering outside police onto the campus. Several distinguished faculty members associated with this group have threatened to resign unless the demands are met.

The other faculty group, led by Warner Shilling, a government professor, has said that it will make no concessions to the demonstrators. One faculty member reported that Shilling said at a meeting last night, "Either Rudd goes or I go."

Shilling is faculty leader of a group of several hundred conservative students, many of them campus athletes, who call themselves the Majority Coalition.

A leader of the Coalition, Frank Dann, a member of the swimming team, claimed that the administration had promised him that SDS demonstration leaders would be expelled.

Dann's group continually harassed the demonstrators today, but there were no incidents of violence this time. Last year conservative students and SDS members came to blows during a demonstration against Marine recruiters.

Beat Twenty Dollars

Still, tempers were high. One student complained that while the University was closed he was missing classes. "That costs me twenty dollars a day," he said. "And I'm going to beat that twenty dollars out of one of those SDS kids when I get my hands on him."

Last night, members of the Coalition came to the steps of Fayeweather and demanded a chance to "get even" with the demonstrators inside. "Three years of the administration giving in to SDS is a long time to restrain ourselves," one said.

Low Library, the huge Roman-style building where Columbia President Grayson Kirk has his offices, remained the focus of attention today. Professor Robert Fogelson announced that students would no longer have free access to the building.

He explained that if the demonstrators left the building they would have their identification cards confiscated and would be unable to re-enter. Food and messages could be brought inside however.

The first to leave was Gary Menaged, who said that his father had wanted to talk to him about the demonstration. Menaged, who had been inside the library for two days, said that he did not know he could not return.

A student saw Menaged as he climbed down from one of the library windows and brought him over to a proctor, who took his identification card.

Menaged, who appeared pale and tired, said that the demonstrators had adequate food. Girls had set up a kitchen, he said.

He also said that the people inside feared a police charge last night. They had the doors and windows barricaded with filing cabinets, chairs, and tables. "Everyone inside was really scared," he said.

But the police did not get inside the building. Instead, they charged the faculty members who had surrounded Low on the outside to keep away assaults of conservative students. Twenty-five plainclothes police, billy clubs concealed at first under their trench coats, tried to break up the faculty for some unknown reason.

In the melee that followed, one faculty member, Richard Greenman suffered a five-inch gash on the forehead and had to be hospitalized. An unidentified woman was also slightly injured.

According to the New York Post, sources in Mayor John V. Lindsay's office said that the police moved toward the building at the request of Kirk, although Kirk did not intend the men to break up the faculty, but merely "get into position.