Nine Defeats Tigers, 4-3; Lord Belts 2-Run Homer

Ray Peters staved off a ninth inning Princeton rally to save a 4-3 win for the varsity baseball team yesterday at Soldiers Field.

Peters had scattered five hits to hold the Tigers to just one run in eight innings.

An explosive third inning sparked by Carter Lord's two-run homer gave the Crimson a 3-1 lead. When Peters scored on John Ignacio's hard liner to third in the eighth, Harvard seemed to have the game wrapped up.

Princeton's right fielder, Bob Gang, led off the top of the ninth with a smash that eluded shortstop Jeff Grate. After whiffing the last man in the Tiger batting order, Peters walked Terry Young. A line single to center by Jim Adams brought in Gang and Young, with the heart of the Bengal batting order coming up.

Whiffs Cleanup Man

Peters whiffed Princeton's cleanup man to end the rally.

Peters had eleven strikeouts, while Princeton's pitcher, Mike Fremuth, fanned four Harvard men.

Princeton jumped to an early lead in the second inning when a walk, a steal, and two singles produced a run.

The Tigers' lead was shortlived. With two outs in the third inning, Ignacio drew a walk. Fremuth had a 3-2 count on Lord when the Crimson captain powered a drive that carried over the centerfielder's head onto the second diamond at Soldiers' Field, where the Yardlings were battling Princeton's freshman nine.

Fremuth threw high all afternoon, but after Lord's blast his control grew more erratic. Three walks and an infield single later, Harvard had another run.

Except for Harvard's big third inning and the Tigers' ninth inning rally, the game was largely a pitcher's duel. Peters and Fremuth each gave up only six hits. Clutch fielding in the fourth and eighth innings prevented potential Tiger threats from developing.

Frosh Nine Batters Brown

The booming bats of Harvard's freshman baseball team sounded again yesterday, defeating Brown, 9-1. Third baseman Frank Saba paced the team with a two for three performance at the plate, including a soaring 415-foot home run in the fourth inning.

J. C. Nickens and John Todd shared the pitching duties and allowed only one run. Nickens pitched six hitless innings getting credit for the win. Todd permitted four hits and one run in relief.

First baseman Pete Bernhardt was three for five at bat and got three RBI's to lead the team. Second baseman Dan DeMichele also went three for five.

Harvard pitching blanked the previously undefeated Bruins until the eighth inning when Brown finally squeezed across a run. The Yardlings are now 5-0 for the season and have scored 59 runs. They play M.I.T. at Soldiers Field at 2 p.m. today.