Freshman Baseball Squad Undefeated Through First 6

"Pistol Pete" Varney doesn't boast. But he has a lot he could boast about.

Varney is the catcher on Harvard's undefeated (6-0) freshman baseball team. He could be playing pro ball this year. After his senior year at Deerfield, he was offered a reported $50,000 to play for the Houston Astros. Yet at Harvard Varney is not the star. He is one of many.

Two other players on the squad were offered pro contracts, center-fielder Bill Kelly and shortstop Dan Demichele. In the batting order, Kelly is third, Varney fourth and Demichele fifth. Three pros in a row.

Even that is not the meat of the order. Center-fielder Larry Cetrulo, who bats second, is carrying a .429 average, as does first baseman Pete Bernhardt. Six of the nine starters are batting over .300. In the last six games, the booming bats have tallied 59 runs to their opponents' nine.

The mound staff, thought to be the weakest part of the team at the season's start, has turned out remarkably strong. Led by J.C. Nickens, Phil Collins, and Curt Tucker, the hurlers have allowed only 20 hits. Their one rocky performance came against Exeter, which bowed, 10-8.

Play like Pros

There is more than just statistics to this squad. They look and act like pros. From Chico Garcia's chatter in the infield to Fran Saba's 450-foot home run against previously-undefeated Brown, even to the way Varney strikes out, this team is pro. Something about it is smooth and relaxed. They make their opponents look like little league.

This team plays better ball against better teams. Against undefeated Brown they scored nine runs. Against tough B.U. they tallied 20. With the less good teams they ease up a bit. Coach Steve Novick substitutes early and the first string slows up the pace. A hapless M.I.T. escaped with only a 9-0 defeat.

Pistol Pete isn't boasting when he says that this team could win the NCAA baseball crown in 1971. He isn't boasting and he isn't cocky. Today the team plays Springfield which could be tough. In baseball you take one game at a time. So today Varney, Kelly, Demichele and the rest will go into action again.