Netmen Favored to Capture Title At New England Tennis Tourney

Having virtually clinched a share of the Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis League Championship, the Harvard tennis team will try for a second title this weekend when it competes in the New England Championships at Amherst.

Crimson Favored

The Crimson netmen are heavy favorites to capture first place in the three-day tournament. Last year, Harvard finished a disappointing third behind Williams and Amherst. The Crimson last won the team title in 1965.

John Levin, Rocky Jarvis, Jose Gonzales, and Kent Parrot--Harvard's top four players--will carry the Crimson competition. banner in both the singles and doubles

Last year, Levin finished runnerup in singles when he dropped an 8-6, 6-0, decision to Dartmouth's Charlie Hoeveler. Now that Hoeveler has graduated. Levin looks like the player to beat. Wesleyan's Steve Beik, Yale's Bob McCallum and Amherst's Rick Steketee should provide his chief competition. Jarvis could also be a contender for the singles crown.

Top Doubles Team

Levin and Jarvis will be tough to beat in doubles. The juniors from California finished second last year to Hoeveler and Bill Kirkpatrick, Dartmouth's top tandem. Gonzales and Parrot have looked sharp in recent matches and could pull some upsets.

Levin, who broke his string of six consecutive defeats Wednesday by stomping Yale captain Bob McCallum in two sets, is seeded number one in the Easterns.

Harvard has captured the tournament team trophy seven times--1957, 1958, 1959, 1861, 1963, 1964, and 1965. In 1955 and 1962, the Crimson finished runner-up in the team standings.