Future Crimson Net Stars Crumble at Brandeis, 6-2

While Harvard's varsity tennis team was celebrating a league championship at Lockober's last night, a mysterious lineup of untested rookies carried the Crimson banner against Brandeis in the final dual of the season.

Brandeis riddled the varsity hopefuls with an arsenal of unorthodox ground strokes to score a stunning 6-2 upset on the unfamiliar hardcourt surfaces at Brandeis.

Only Mike Ezell and Graham Maloney, two select sophomores, managed to put together the winning combination of serves, ground-strokes, and vollies in the singles matches. The number one doubles match was called because of boredom with the score deadlocked at 10-10 in the third set.

Ezell exhibited a blistering serve and a steady backcourt game as he edged Brandeis star Bernie Ross 1-6, 6-3, 6-1 in the top singles match. Since starring for the Harvard freshmen last season, Ezell has seen limited action on the courts.

Maloney let it all hang out as he battled from behind to grab a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory at number four singles Maloney bewildered his helpless opponent with a dazzling array of court strategy and racket finesse.

Those athletes positioned at lower singles rungs experienced a frustrating afternoon. Bill Ball and Chuck Smith struggled bravely before dropping tense three-set spectaculars at the second and third positions.

And Crimson net titans Patrick Hindert and Mark Rasmuson sputtered hopelessly in their initial varsity outings.

Hindert briefly defied his opponent's forceful tactics and streaked to an early first set lead. As the contest reached its critical stages, however, he wilted and lost 6-4, 6-1.

Rasmuson demonstrated typical courage before falling 6-2, 6-3 at number six singles. With the score tied 3-3 in the second set, Rasmuson encountered severe pelvic cramps which greatly inhibited his lateral motion. To Rasmuson's credit, he never once asked for mercy while dropping the final 12 points in a row.

Entering the doubles competition, Harvard's traditional strength, the Crimson netmen needed to sweep all three doubles matches to pull out a team victory.

But number three doubles Hindert and Peter Nash quickly destroyed all illusions of victory. Exhibiting the same effervescence and flair which has made these two one of the East's most feared tandems, Hindert and Nash nevertheless dropped a heartbreaker.

Commenting on their 6-0, 6-0 whitewash, Nash lamented "that was the most embarrassing defeat of my varsity career."