Track Team Grabs G.B.C. Meet; Shaw and Baker Top Mile Record

Harvard won the Greater Boston Track Championships yesterday with 111 1\2 points--more than twice the 48 1\2 total of second place Northeastern--but the glamor of Harvard's seventh straight Greater Boston crown got lost in the dust of falling records.

Mile Record Set

Jim Baker and Roy Shaw bested the old mile record of 4:09.7 by more than four seconds as they blazed through a 57.4 final lap to finish one-two in 4:04.2 and 4:04.7.

A crowded start kept both milers from breaking the pack to shoot for the four minute mark. They ran even going into the last quarter when Baker picked up the pace and out-kicked Shaw in the final 220 for the victory.

But Dave Hemery of Boston University turned out to be the star of the afternoon. He set meet and stadium records in the 440 and 120 yard hurdle events. In the 440 hurdles, Hemery flashed around the track in 50.6 seconds--the second fastest time run in the world this year.

Larry Jeffers of Boston College rivaled Hemery. He was a double record breaker in the 220 and 440 yard sprints.

Jeffers time of 46.5 in the 440 tied the Soldiers' Field record set in 1965 by Wendell Mottley of Yale who won a silver medal in the 400 meter run at the '64 Olympics.

Jeff Huvelle broke his own Harvard record of 46.7 in the 440 but finished third behind Jeffers and Frank Foley of Northeastern.

Tuesday's sweep in field events gave Harvard a 421/2 point edge going into today's events and coach Bill McCurdy was obviously saving his strength for the Yale meet on Saturday.

Harvard's ace hurdler Frank Haggerty did not compete against Hemery today. Neither did Bill McBride, who fell on his last hurdle in Tuesday's trials. Both will be ready for the Yale meet.

Boston College set the pace for the day when they raced through the first event, the 440 relay, in a GBC's and Soldiers Field record of 41.8.

Harvard finished strong in the distance races. Shaw and Trey Burns grabbed off the first two places in the 880 yard run. Then Doug Hardin brought down the last meet record of the day with a 9:10.6 two mile time.

The final standings were: Harvard 111 1\2, Northeastern 48 1\2, Boston College 47, Boston University 26, M.I.T. 26, Tufts 4, and Brandeis 3.