Yardlings Race To GBC Crown

The Crimson freshman track team coasted to an easy Greater Boston Championship crown in a replay of the varsity's big win yesterday.

Chris Alvord led the Yardlings with dual victories in the 100 yard and 220 yard sprints. He touched out Brandeis' Jerry Zerkin at the tape to post a 10.1 in the 100 yd. dash. The mark tied a Greater Boston record.

Ben Lounsbury, who set a Crimson freshman record in a trial heat for the 440 hurdles yesterday in 53.9, won the event today in 54.3. Another Harvard freshman, Walter Johnson, edged Lounsbury in the 120 hurdles to take first place there.

Harvard's John Enscoe and John Naughten of Boston University battled through three laps in the mile before Naughten opened a ten yard lead on the last leg and held on for the win. Naughten's 4.09.8 was a new meet record. Enscoe finished in 4:12.5--the best freshman time this year.

Harvard ran up a 44 point lead in the field events Tuesday. On Wednesday, they extended the winning margin to 90 points over second place Northeastern.

Harvard had a 136 point total, Northeastern, 45 1\2; Tufts, 34 1\2 and Boston College, 30. M.I.T., B.U., and Brandeis finished with less than ten points each.