22 New Gen Ed Courses Slated; Four Houses Will Offer Seminars

By Franklin D. Chu

The Committee on General Education has approved 22 new General Education courses--including a lower level Social Science course on Afro-American studies--to be given next year.

At least 15 of the new courses will count towards the lower-level Gen Ed requirement, Edward T. Wilcox, director of the committee, said yesterday. He said that no decision had been made on whether three others would be classified as lower-level or upper-level.

A dozen of the new courses will be in the Social Sciences. They include two courses on France: one emphasizing its political institutions, by Stanley H. Hoffmann, professor of Government; the other, on its cultural development, by Laurence Wylie, C. Douglas Dillon Professor of the Civilization of France.

Other Social Science courses will explore problems of social change and development, social psychology, and the psychological anthropology of a developing country. In addition, John L. Clive, professor of History and Literature, will give a course on the "Classics of Historical Writing."

'Love' Defined in Dunster

Eight new courses will be offered in the Humanities, four of them sponsored by Houses. Dunster, Leverett, Lowell, and Winthrop will offer seminars on the "Definition of Love," "Science and Literature in the English Renaissance," "Ideas of Self and Truth in Contemporary Literature, Music, and Art," and "The Modern Sensibility."

Members of the East Asian Research Center and the Department of Far Eastern Languages will present "Introduction to Chinese Culture" as a full Humanities course.

Humanities 115, "Thought and Literature of the Renaissance," will be expanded to three half courses.

Only two additions are now slated in the Natural Sciences, though Wilcox said that a third is under consideration. He explained that students have failed to show much enthusiasm for new Nat Sci offerings.

Meet Modern Technology

The two new courses--"Automatic Computing" and "Applied Science and Technological Progress"--will be "an effort to introduce modern technology into the classical courses," he said, and will stress the impact of science on society.

Wilcox also said that Leonard K. Nash, professor of Chemistry, will return to his Nat Sci 4 lectures next year. Wilcox indicated that the course will be substantially revised.

Several courses will not be given next year. Social Sciences 3 and 8 will be dropped and Humanities 3 will not be offered because John H. Finley, Eliot Professor of Greek Literature, will be on a leave of absence.