Squash, Tennis, Golf Teams Elect Captains

Golf

Bruce, LoPucki, a 5-11, 165-pound junior from Ann Arbor, Mich., has been elected Harvard's golf captain for the 1969 season by a vote of this year's lettermen.

Playing at both the number one and two positions on the Crimson, LoPucki had one of the team's best individual records, 7-3, and was a big reason that Harvard won its first Eastern Intercollegiate title ever and qualified for the NCAA's.

"Bruce is an excellent choice for captain," Coach Cooney Weiland said. "He's a fine leader and a fine golfer, especially with his long irons."

Known primarily as a tee to green player, Lopucki is toughest with his woods, firing long and straight drives. Last year playing number one, he placed eighth at the Easterns. He was also the freshman team's top golfer in 1966 when he was a semifinalist in the National Junior Golf tournament.

LoPucki succeeds Bo Keefe as captain. The two have shared the number one and two spots this year and last.

A 1965 graduate of Belleville High School, LoPucki lettered in football, hockey, and basketball. Although Belleville did not have a golf team, he was Michigan match play junior champion in 1963, state medal play junior champ in 1964, and a semifinalist in the 1965 U. S. Junior tournament.

LoPucki, who is 20 years old, is majoring in economics.