Lights to Enter Three Regattas In Summer Tour

Harvard's undefeated lightweight varsity crew will row in three of Europe's biggest regattas this summer, coach Bo Andersen said yesterday. As in years past, the Friends of Harvard Rowing have agreed to sponsor the tour.

The prestigious Royal Henley Regatta, July 10-13 at Henley-on-Thames, England--considered the "Olympics" of lightweight rowing--promises to be the high point of the Crimson trip. At Henley, the lights will race in the Thames Challenge Cup, which attracts most of its competitors from American colleges and prep schools and British public schools.

Andersen said he expects Harvard's stiffest competition to come from the Oxford and Cambridge crews. Two former Crimson oarsmen, Gib Vincent and Roger Cheeyer, may return to haunt their alma mater. Both are doing graduate work at Cambridge and are rowing for a boat club which is expected to enter the Thames Cup.

Warm-up on Bosbaan

As a warm-up for Henley, the lights plan to enter a regatta on the Bosbaan Canal in Amsterdam, June 29-30. Although he did not know anything yet about the competition, Andersen said that Bosbaan usually attracts some of the better European crews.

On July 6, the lightweights will also compete in the Reading Towns Regatta at Reading, England, one town up the Thames from Henley. Most of the crews entered at Henley will use Reading Towns as a final tune-up.

Before leaving for Europe, Harvard will enter the American Henley Regatta on June 8 at Philadelphia. Andersen said he expects this to be an "interesting" race since the Penn lightweights voted to remain together to get another shot at Harvard. Penn finished second to the Crimson at the Eastern Sprints on May 11.

Captain Brian Sullivan is the only member of the present crew who has ever been to Henley. Two years ago he coxed another undefeated crew to a Thames Cup victory.

"The competition is quite physically and strategically challenging. We will have five races in four days. That's as many races as we've had all season," Sullivan said yesterday.

Social Event

"Henley has been in the back of our minds all year," said Sullivan. "It's quite something to see. As a social event it is comparable to Ascot or a cricket Test Match at Lord's."

Making the trip with Andersen will be the entire varsity boating; Sullivan, cox; Joe Bracewell, stroke; Bill Braun, 7; captain-elect Rob Wolff, 6; Ken Miller, 5; Fred Fisher, 4; Jim Gerrity, 3; Joe McPherson, 2; and Chris Cutler, bow. Alternate Sam White and manager Randy Williams will also accompany the crew.

The lightweights, who have been rowing every day through reading and even exam periods, leave June 1, for Red Top at New London, Conn., where they will continue training until the American Henley.