Crimson, Eli Trackmen Clash in Ivy Finale

Haggerty's Injury Makes Hurdles Key Event in 72nd Annual Contest

Frank Haggerty's bruised hip could be the deciding factor in Saturday's 72nd Harvard-Yale track meet at noon in the Soldiers Field stadium.

Haggerty was favored to win the 440 hurdles and place near the top in the high hurdles, but his injury makes these two crucial events the key to the meet victory.

Haggerty pulled into coach Bill McCurdy's office yesterday for treatment. McCurdy called in the team physician, but Haggerty's condition is still doubtful after an afternoon of conditioning. The bruise kept him out of Wednesday's Greater Boston Championships.

Top Spots

Before Haggerty's injury, McCurdy figured the tightest races to be the 440, 880, 440 hurdles, and the high hurdles Harvard is virtually assured of taking top spots in all the weight events, and both the mile and two mile. Yale, however, has the same advantage in the jumps and the sprints.

McCurdy says that the meet will not rest on first place finishers, but that third place points will probably decide the meet.

Because the mile is a Harvard event, neither Jim Baker or Roy Shaw will be shooting for the four minute mark. Instead they will be concentrating on saving their strength for an 880 battle against Yale's top-rated Craig Bittner. Bittner has run a 148.6 this year--the best time of Saturday's contenders.

Gridiron Star

Football star Calvin Hill will lead a talented Eli squad into the sprint and jumping events. Hill should take the broad jump, the triple jump, and the high jump.

He could lead a Yale sweep unless Harvard's Jim Coleman can break into the high jump standings and Bob Galliers can place in the broad and triple jump.

In the 100 and 220 yard sprints, Yale will go with Rich Anderson and Adolph F. Jones. There is a possibility that they will also bring down last year's outstanding meet performer Mark Young from the 440-yard run to help them carry their hopes for a sweep.

In the weights, Harvard has Dick Benka, Ron Wilson, and Bruce Hedendal, and Charlie Ajootian leading their cause. With strong performances by Frank Champi and Henry Bernson in the javelin, Harvard could come out of these events with 35 of the 36 points.

Both Harvard and Yale are confident. A pre-meet analysis from Yale predicts a 88-66 Eli victory, but McCurdy goes over the list and comes out with a 89-65 win for the Crimson.

In the past, Harvard and Yale have split the series with 35 victories each and one tie.