McCarthy Preferred Over Kennedy In Time's National Student Poll

Senator Eugene J. McCarthy (D-Minn.) has won a national mock Presidential election sponsored by Time magazine and held last week on 1200 college campuses.

Senator Robert F. Kennedy '48 (D-N.Y.) took second place in Choice '68, which polled over a million students on the upcoming elections and the Vietnam war.

McCarthy drew 285,988 votes, Kennedy, 213,832, and third-place candidate, former Vice President Richard M. Nixon, 197,167.

Nix Viet

Over half the students polled favored reduction of the U.S. war effort in Vietnam in a referendum included on the ballot. McCarthy drew 85 per cent of his support from those students, computerized results showed.

Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, now a major contender for the Democratic nomination, was not included on the ballot, which offered 13 possible choices.

Sponsors of the election said that the ballot had been drawn up before President Johnson bowed out of the race in March and could not be changed before the April 24 voting.

Rockefeller

New York Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller, now actively challenging Nixon for the Republican nomination, attracted 115,937 votes, although he had not announced his candidacy at the time of the voting. Humphrey received 18,535 write-ins. There were 57,362 votes cast for Johnson, despite his disavowal.

Former Alabama Governor George C. Wallace drew 33,078 votes. Other results were scattered, with 3530 students voting for the late Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., listed on the ballot as an independent candidate. Perennial candidate Harold Stassen finished last, with 1033 votes.

Choice '68 was co-sponsored by the UNIVAC division of Sperry-Rand Corporation, which tabulated the results by computer and announced them yesterday.

Magazine's Purpose

The election at Harvard was coordinated by the Harvard Undergraduate Council, and held in dining halls during lunch and dinner.

In March, a spokesman for the anti-war Student Mobilization Committee said that Time was "trying to prove that the anti-war movement does not speak for students." Time claims that the election is for information only.

The pollsters did not make available totals for Halstead and Boutelle of the Socialist Workers Party.