President Urges 18-Year-Old Vote

The Johnson Administration plans to ask Congress next week for a constitutional amendment that would lower the voting age to 18.

President Johnson said at a Texas press conference yesterday that he hopes to draft and send a special message to Congress recommending the change.

Under the Constitution, voting age is a province of the states. Therefore, a formal amendment to the Constitution is required to set a new national age standard.

Johnson first brought up the subject of a lower voting age in a commencement speech at Texas Christian University on Wednesday.

Imperfect Society

In that speech, he said that young people in the United States were restless, seeking a place in an imperfect society. He said that their energies and already-proved abilities ought to be directed to the formidable questions of the day which he felt no better equipped to answer than they were.

Mr. Johnson said that former Administration programs such as Vista, appointment of White House fellows, Presidential scholarships, and employment of young people in government had been aimed at aiding and involving young people.

"Now, I believe we should extend the range of young peoples' participation in public life," he said. "I believe we should move forward--now--to grant the vote to 18-year olds."