Thinclads Race Past Yale; Johnson Sweeps Four Firsts

SPORTS '71

Walter Johnson swept four first-place finishes and Dave Pottetti shattered Harvard's two-mile record to lead the freshman track team to a 117-39 drubbing of Yale Saturday.

The versatile Johnson won the long jump, high jump, 120-yard hurdles, and the triple jump, and then anchored the Crimson's winning 440-yard relay team. His 23'9" effort in the long jump broke a meet and Harvard record of 23'6 1/2" set in 1961 by the legendary Chris Ohiri.

In the two-mile, Pottetti smashed Jim Baker's old freshman record of 9:24.7 by blazing to a phenomenal 9:05 clocking, which shaved nearly 20 seconds off the old mark.

Assault

Freshman football star Richie Szaro continued the Crimson's assault on the record book by surpassing the six-year-old javelin mark of 212'6" with a throw of 213'2". His performance would have been good enough to win many varsity competitions.

In the other throwing events, Ed Nosal accounted for 13 points with his first in the hammer and shotput and second in the discus. Nosal has failed to finish first only two or three times during both the indoor and outdoor seasons.

Doug Griswold contributed two seconds in both the hammer and the shot put. In all, Harvard captured 10 of 12 possible places in the throwing events.

Harvard's other double winner was Bob Enscoe, who spend to victories in the 880 and mile. Three other freshmen came close to double wins. Ben Lounsbury won the 440-hurdles and finished behind Johnson in the 120-yard hurdles.

Sprints

In the sprints, John Schneider nosed out John Gillis in the 220 and took a second in the 100. But Gillis came back to win the 440 in 49.9 seconds.

For the entire meet, Harvard captured 15 of 18 possible events to remain undefeated. The team meets Andover a week from tomorrow in the season's final encounter.

Stowell has called this year's team the "finest we've ever had."