African Economics

Brass Tacks

By Richard B. Markham

HARVARD'S Economics Department offers no courses on black Africa but this does not mean it is discriminating against the Continent. The Department offers few regional study courses. But the lack of African courses in Economics clearly black students' requests, for this Department is probably in a better position than any other at Harvard to provide courses on Africa. The Economics Department is not plagued by the severe shortage of African scholars that the History and Government Departments now face.

But the Economics Department wants only to teach students about the types of problems economists face and the branches of economics that deal with those problems. As a result, course offerings are mainly concerned with such problems as International Economics Relations (Ec 148) and Economic Development and Underdevelopment (Ec 108). This leaves little room for regional economic studies.

There are, however, a few economics courses on specific areas, but all of these courses are associated with the regional study centers at Harvard. The University has no regional study center concerned with black Africa, but in the Development Advisory Service of the Center for International Affairs, it has the next best thing.

The DAS was created in 1962 to provide economic advice to under-developed countries which request it. It currently has advisory teams in Liberia and Ghana. In previous years, the staff for these two units was selected from throughout the United States and western Europe and few staff members returned to Harvard after their work in Africa.

BUT last year the DAS changed it policy. According to Gustav Papanek, Development Advisor of the DAS, "Our conviction was that we were doing a better job in the field than in contributing to research and education at Harvard. The only way we could do more of the second was to bring more people back." Consequently, the DAS will, in the summer of 1969, bring to Harvard two staff members who have been working in Ghana. These men would be in a position to teach undergraduate courses on their experiences in Africa.

HOW receptive the Economics Department is to courses on black Africa is unclear. Richard Caves, chairman of the Department, feels that regional study courses would not significantly contribute to a student's understanding of economics. "As you look at economics," he states, "you have to ask if sub-Sahara Africa is important."

Papanek believes that African courses would be worth while as studies of particular types of economies: "The main advantage I would see is that to teach in relation to areas in which students are interested seems a much better way to teach economics."

It is this question of student interest that the Economies Department appears to be overlooking. What courses are offered in a given year is the result of which professors the Department appoints to teaching positions. "The first thing we look for is top quality," Caves explains, "and we are also interested in a balanced approach for the field. If there are suitable persons, then we certainly would explore putting in a course (related to black Africa)."

Caves and other Faculty members who plan the economics curriculum recognize that the lack of African courses is a problem in the University, but they do not feel that this problem is of special concern for the Economics Department. No priorities will be altered to provide economic courses on African development; and without an alteration, there is little guarantee that students' requests for African courses will be met, even in a department with access to faculty who could teach the courses.