We-Won't-Go Signings Part Of Class Day

Plans have been laid for over 100 seniors to sign publicly "We Won't Go" pledges at tomorrow's Class Day ceremonies after a speech by Mrs. Martin Luther King Jr.

The pledges are the same as the one that appeared in a full-page advertisement in the CRIMSON May 15. It reads:

"Our war in Vietnam is unjust and immoral. I belive that the United States should immediately withdraw from Vietnam and that no one should be drafted to fight in this war. As long as the United States is involved in this war I would not serve in the armed forces."

The plans for the Class Day singing have been made by an ad hoc committee, headed by Henry R. Norr '68 and Douglas M. Myers '68. The group, with an open membership, has been meeting for the past four weeks to decide on a method of demonstrating opposition to the war by the Class of 1968.

Orator and Odist

The demonstration is expected to have the cooperation of Mrs. King and an as yet unnamed faculty speaker. Norr is the class Orator, and Arthur Lipkin, the Class Odist, will also and in the demonstration.

The demonstration is planned to be orderly and silent. Myers said in an interview yesterday that a support statement will also be available for parents, friends, and alumni to sing.

Ninety-eight seniors signed the original May 15 "We Won't Go" pledge, and, since then, 12 more have signed, according to myers. Myers hopes to get another 30 signatures--over 10 per cent of the graduting class of 1200.

Focus of Activity

Class Day will be the focus of antiwar activity this week, Myers said. All that is planned for the Commencement Exercises on Thursday is leafleting and the wearing of white armbands for war resisters and their supporters.

Myers and the committee are especially eager to get support from alumni here for reunions.

Myers said, "I sympathize with the feelings of the Class of 1943. Theey were fighting a good war and a just war, and I can see how they would feel strongly. But there is a big difference between opposing fascism and trying to impose our domination on a small country in Southeast Asia."