Police and Dogs Enforce Curfew

By Larry A. Estridge

For the third consecutive night since Mayor White imposed a 10 p.m. curfew on the Boston Common, large numbers of police were called in last night to disperse crowds numbering in the thousands.

Unlike the previous night's incidents, however, no disturbance preceded the police action and very few people actually violated the curfew. The major part of the crowd filled the streets and sidewalks adjacent to the Common near the Charles Street entrance, and did not attempt to enter the Common.

Nevertheless, at 10 p.m. police units went into action to move the crowd along, hoping to prevent any outbreak. Police dogs were used to drive panicking people down Charles Street and other side streets and between 10 and 20 people were arrested in the process.

The dogs were not handled skillfully and witnesses reported cases where dogs got away from their police masters. Several persons were bitten while being taken into custody.

The majority of those arrested were not "hippies" but "straight people," a police captain said. He estimated that 50 policemen took part in the action.

Tension was high in the area for hours after the incident, while people continued to mill around and policemen to shout orders and race motorcycles. One "straight" youth remarked "Either we'll get the Common back or there'll be a curfew in the whole city."