Group Blasts Calif. Grapes At University

Will Picket Harvard Oct. 1, Stores Today

By James K. Glassman

A group of students plans to picket the University October 1 to protest the serving of California grapes in Harvard dining halls.

The picketing at Harvard is part of a campaign announced yesterday by the Young People's Socialist League to launch a consumer boycott in the Harvard Square area "in support of the demands for justice of farm workers."

Starting today the group will picket three stores in the Square: Broadway Supermarket, Superior Market, and Nini's. YPSL says that all three are selling the grapes, in violation of an agreement made last spring to take them off their shelves.

Steven J. Kelman '70, president of YPSL, said yesterday that he had proof that Harvard has been serving California grapes this week. He produced a label marked "packed and shipped by George A. Lucas and Sons, Delano, California" that was found in the kitchen of Lowell House.

Confession

The officials in charge of buying Harvard's food admit that "in all probability" the University has been serving California grapes this week.

"Most of the grapes we feed the students are from California," Benjamin H. Walcott, assistant purchasing agent, said in an interview Tuesday. "We know there is some sort of moral issue involved and we are behind it, but our function here is to get the best grapes for our money."

"We cannot take sides on this issue," said Charles Graham Hurlburt, director of the Food Services Department. "If we keep taking sides on one issue or another, we'll end up with nothing on the table."

"If students want to be sure they aren't doing anything against their conscience they should not eat the grapes," Hurlburt suggested.

The United Farmworkers Organizing Committee, AF of L-CIO, has been on strike against all California growers for more than two years, asking union recognition (they are not covered by the Wagner Act), higher wages, and better working conditions.

Kelman said that Cahaly's Market was selling Texas grapes yesterday. Although these grapes were not included in the boycott, Ralph Cahaly, the owner agreed to stop selling them, he said.