Crimson and Husky Meet Will Open Track Bubble

By Richard T. Howe

The Harvard track team will attempt to continue its superiority over Greater Boston rivals when it hosts Northeastern in the new "Bubble" tonight. The meet will mark the official debut of the Crimson's tartan track, which has been in use for practice for just over a week. Head Coach Bill McCurdy feels that the new surface may result in some fast early season times tonight.

The Crimson should establish a clear margin in the early field events. Northeastern has only one weight man--senior Andy Kenney--who can come close to matching Dick Benka and Charlie Ajootian in the shot put. Ajootian is expected to lead a sweep in the 35-pound weight with teammates Ed Nosal and Dave Bernstein providing the depth.

Skip Hare in the long jump, Jim Coleman in the high jump, and Pete Lazarus in the pole vault give Harvard front-line strength in the other field events.

Royce Shaw, Jon Enscoe, and Tom Spengler will take on Northeastern's Larry Joseph in the mile. Shaw stayed with the leaders for most of the feature mile in Saturday's Boston Garden meet and should be the favorite against weaker competition tonight. He and Enscoe will team with John Gillis and Keith Colburn in the meet's final event, the two-mile relay, in an attempt to meet the qualifying standard for the indoor NCAA Meet.

The Huskies have a strong edge in the sprints, but John Metzger, Bill McBride, and Ben Lounsbury will challenge Northeastern's hurdlers. The 600 matches Crimson speedsters Colburn and Tom Downer against Northeastern's smooth Mike Roberts. McCurdy picks his trio of Dave Truesdell, Jon Gorham, and Chuck McCormack as good bets in the 1000, while cross-country aces Dave Pottetti, Tom Spengler, and Erik Roth could sweep the two-mile.