Mass. State Rep. Calls on University VP to Increase Transparency for Allston Multimodal Project

Harvard President Lawrence Bacow Made $1.1 Million in 2020, Financial Disclosures Show

Harvard Executive Vice President Katie Lapp To Step Down

81 Republican Lawmakers File Amicus Brief Supporting SFFA in Harvard Affirmative Action Lawsuit

Duke Senior’s Commencement Speech Appears to Plagiarize 2014 Address by Harvard Student

Afro to Hold King Service Today; 'Not a Wake, But a Resurrection'

Harvard Afro will hold a memorial service today at 10 a.m. in Memorial Church on the fortieth anniversary of the birth of the late Rev. Martin Luther King.

'I Have a Dream'

In a statement issued yesterday, Afro said, "Martin Luther King was created of all dream, the same dream which created all those of the same heart, no matter what the ideology. The fortieth anniversary of his birth is not a wake, but rather a resurrection," the statement continued, "a reaffirmation of the determination to liberate all people."

Demands Renewed

Skip Griffin '71, president of Afro, said that Rev. Virgil Wood, director of Blue Hill Christian Center in Roxbury, will lead the service. In addition, Griffin will reiterate the demands that Afro presented to the University at the time of King's death last spring.

Many memorial services are being held across the country in connection with a request by Rev. Ralph D. Abernathy that King's birthday be made a national holiday. The Harvard Afro service, however, has been planned and carried out independent of other services in the Cambridge area.

The service will not be exclusive to the Black community. Griffin said that all those "who believe in the ideals of Rev. King" are invited to attend.

Radio Tribute

WHRB will also honor the memory of King with a special concert scheduled tonight about 9:30 p.m. The program will include some of King's most important speeches and writings, as well as thematically keyed music selections.