Harvard Dominates Squash Finals As Nayar Takes Tournament Win

Anil Nayar and Larry Terrell, Harvard's redoubtable squash duo, were unstoppable this weekend as they powered their way through an impressive field of the best squash players in the United States and Canada to an all-Harvard final in the William White Memorial Cup Tournament in Haverford, Pennsylvania.

In the final, Nayar defeated Terrell, but only after Terrell had mounted his most serious challenge to Nayar's long-time domination in their personal direls, Terrell suffered cramps mid-way through the third game and was unable to stretch his leg muscles. After trailing 2-1 in games, and 10-2 in points, he made a brilliant comeback, only to lose in five games 11-15, 18-15, 15-12, 16-17, 15-8.

On route to the finals, Nayar defeated John Smith-Chapman, Canada's number two ranking player and Sam Howe, the United States' number one ranking player, each by the score of 3-1. Nayar had defeated Sam Howe last year in the Canadian Nationals; consequently, the former Yale great changed his strategy this year. He attempted to outshoot Nayar with lethal reverse corners and precision drop shots. Nayar proved this to be a tactical error, as his great chasing game forced Howe to attempt "dangerously accurate" shots and often to hit them into the tin.

Terrell's victory, perhaps even more impressive than Nayar's, came against Bob Hetherington, the number two U.S. player and Colin Adair, defending U.S. National Champion.

Until this weekend, Terrell's greatest victory had been a come-from-behind thriller over Hetherington in the National's last year, but he left no doubt this year, winning 16-14, 9-15, 15-9, 15-6.

Nayar, Terrell, and Barnaby must now come down to earth and prepare for the Dartmouth match this Wednesday.