Ad Board Vote Denies Student Seat on SFAC; Groups Pick Observers

Students to Be Old Members

The representatives from HUC, SFAC, and HPC who will attend the Faculty meeting Feb. 4 will probably all be members of these bodies from the past year, and not the newly-elected members who will begin serving with the new term.

This is so even though the meeting takes place the second day of the new term.

SFAC has already chosen its three representatives. They are Katherine A. Kaufer '69, Roger D. K. Thomas, a graduate student, and Alexander Keyssar '69. All three are old SFAC members.

Kenneth M. Glazier '69, chairman of SFAC, said this was done because many of the new members have not yet been elected, and because it was the old members who had worked on the ROTC issue.

Although Dean Ford's invitation gave the heads of the HUC, SFAC, and HPC the right to choose which three of their members would attend the meeting, Glazier conducted a straw poll among the old SFAC members to arrive at a decision.

Steven H. Kaplan '69, president of the HUC, said that he hadn't decided whether the old or new members of HUC should attend. But, he said, since the representatives will be allowed to talk if called upon, perhaps they should be people who are "familiar with the issues."

Richard D. Paisner '70, a newly-elected HUC member, said that he would like to see two old members and one new member attend the Faculty meeting. Kaplan said yesterday that this was "a possibility."

Kaplan said that he is trying for a diversity of viewpoints, "within the context of the HUC position on ROTC." He said that he was considering at least one person who had been in favor of abolition of ROTC.

Kenneth R. Kaufman '69, chairman of the HPC, said that he had not made his decision yet, but that the three who went would be members of the "current" HPC, i.e. the one elected a year ago. He said he was choosing among the "few most involved" in the HPC discussion of the ROTC issue.

"There are one or two who have to go," he said, adding that he "may or may not" attend himself.

Kaplan and Glazier have sent a letter to Dean Ford about the method for choosing student representatives at faculty meetings. Kaplan said last night that they couldn't reveal the contents of the letter until Ford receives it.

Kaufman, however, said yesterday that he, Kaplan, and Glazier were concerned about any precedents they might be setting in their methods of selection.

He said that perhaps other concerned groups such as YPSL or SDS should have official representation.

Ford said yesterday that the CRIMSON would not be permitted to send a reporter to the Faculty meeting. A spokesman for Ford said that if the dean allowed the CRIMSON to attend, he would be obliged to allow reporters from Boston papers as well, which would make it an open meeting, which it is not.

The CRIMSON writes its Faculty meeting stories on the basis of a post-meeting interview with Ford. Ford tells the CRIMSON roughly who said what when, but the CRIMSON must not quote a Faculty member without contacting him that evening