Stickmen Coast, 5-1, While Wrestlers Lose

High-Scoring Sophomore Line Pace Icemen With Three Goals

By Mark H. Odonoghue

Harvard's sophomore line overcame spectacular goal tending by Brown's Mark Burns with two third-period goals for a comfortable 5-1 win over the Bruins last night in Watson Rink.

Each forward on the high scoring line contributed three points and would have had more if it had not been for Burns' brilliant saves.

Steve Owen, top goal scorer on the squad, added two more goals to his total and assisted once. Joe Cavanagh scored once and assisted twice while linemate Dan DeMichele assisted all three scores.

Harvard's record is now 7-3-1 and 3-0 in Ivy competition. Brown, which has not won a game in 8 outings, now has a 3-7-1 slate.

Cavanagh, whose deft play-making repeatedly set up scoring opportunities for his wings, broke open a tight 2-1 contest by ramming the puck into the cage at 9:27 of the final period.

The goal destroyed the Bruin hopes of an upset and prevented a recurrence of the cliff-hanging meeting that Brown had subjected Harvard to in their last game. In that game the Crimson won in over time after trailing by three goals.

Early in the contest it did not seem unlikely that the Bruins could upset Harvard. Goalie Burns, on whom the Crimson had scored eight times before, was impenetrable. He weathered a two-man deficit in the opening period and gained strength as the game went on, turning away ten shots in the first period, 18 in the second, and 19 in the third for a total of 47 saves.

But Harvard goalie Bruce Durno was just as effective, making the outstanding play when he had to and stopping 21 shots. The 5-6 goal tender prevented one score with a kick save on a weirdly hopping squibbler and drew appreciative cheers for one series of three consecutive saves.

Harvard had a golden opportunity in the first minute of the game when Bruins' Gary Peacock and Frank Sacheli went off the ice at 1:47 and 2:51 respectively. The Cavanagh line had a two man advantage for over a minute, but they played for the clear shot and lost control of the puck after lengthy maneuvering.

Brown forward Dick McLaughlin opened the scoring on a masterful play at 5:48. He took a long pass in mid-ice and skated down on defenseman Dave Jones. After crossing the red line, he slowed and, using Jones as a screen, whipped a low wrist shot which bounced off the post into the net.

Defenseman Chris Gurry evened the score at 9:06. Gurry rushed into a corner in the offensive zone after a loose puck, carried the puck along the boards behind the net, and then came back around the cage to power the puck past Burns and a Bruin defenseman.

After this burst of energy both teams settled into a measured style of play, eschewing a close forechecking game for cautious rushes from one end of the rink to the other, and the period ended in a 1-1 tie.

Harvard picked up in the second period and gained command of the game, but it could only score once. Owen scored the winning goal at 10:17 on a smooth three-on--one play. Harvard caught Brown's defensemen out of position and Cavanagh passed to DeMichele who fed Owen for the score.

The Bruins had a two-man advantage in the final minutes of the period when defenseman Skip Freeman and Durno were penalized for interference, but Harvard weathered the threat and successfully killed the penalties.

After Cavanagh's score in the final period--a goal almost identical to Gurry's--the Crimson controlled play and had numerous opportunities which they could only convert into two scores.

Jim Hornig tallied the fourth goal at 15:48 on an assist from Jones and then Owen scored his second goal with only 54 seconds remaining in the game.