Harriers Win 29th Consecutive Meet, Easily Defeat Bruin Runners, 15-50

Scoring a "perfect" 15-50 win over Brown yesterday afternoon at Franklin Park, the Harvard cross country team set the squad record for the most consecutive dual meet victories with their twenty-ninth triumph in a row.

Even though it was the Bruins who last defeated Harvard three years ago varsity coach Bill McCurdy had few worries about losing. "We didn't figure they'd give us any trouble, and as it turned out they didn't," he said after the race.

Harvard swept the first eight places and senior Royce Shaw bothered by a leg injury for most of the season, came within three seconds of equaling his course record with a winning time of 26:48 Junior Tom Spengler and sophomore Milke Koerner ran together at second and third.

The time interval of one minute between the first and fifth runners, often an indication of a team's strength, was wider than desirable but McCurdy attributed the spread to the hard workout he gave his team on Thursday.

Shaw, who missed the organized practice on Thursday, but worked out by himself ran a strong relaxed race and said that he felt good. "I'm in better shape than last year. I just coasted home." he said.

"It was encouraging to see Shaw run so well." said McCurdy. He will need strong running from Shaw, Dave Pottetti a junior who didn't run yesterday because of a cold and sophomore Bob Seals who finished eighth against Brown, as well as from his regulars-captain Keith Colburn John Heyburn Erik Roth and Howie Foye-as the IC4A's approach.

The varsity coach said that Cornell next week's opponent might be tough with good runners in their first and second position, but Princeton will be the Crimson's biggest challenge.

The Harvard freshman cross country team defeated a weak Brown team by a score of 15-49.

The Yardlings took the first six places with winner John Quirk finishing the 3.1 mile course in 15:44 which equalled the best time of Dave Pottetti when he ran the same course as a freshman. Thom New, Marshall Jones, George Barker and Mark Cannolly filling in for injured Dave Elliott followed within 34 seconds of their teammate Richard Engelbrech? who led at the mile and half mark finished sixth unable to keep up the pace he set at he start.

Pleased with his runners' performances freshman coach Pappy Hunt said, "This is the strongest team of freshmen I've had in many years." He didn't think that the Brown team posed any real threat to his frosh and is looking forward to the weeks ahead with confidence.